Keep your transmission in good condition for the long haul.
While most car owners know that they should check their oil levels regularly, not everyone knows they also should be checking transmission fluids at regular intervals. Getting into the habit of checking transmission fluid for appropriate levels and cleanliness can be the number one way to keep your transmission in good condition for the long haul.
An automatic transmission shifts gears in your vehicle as you speed up or slow down while driving. In a standard shift vehicle, there is a clutch that the driver must depress to change gears in the transmission. In both types of vehicles, though, you must keep sufficient levels of clean transmission fluid.
Burnt-smelling or dirty fluid can cause damage to the gears, as can having too little or too much fluid in the transmission. According to our service team at Desert Car Care McQueen in Gilbert, it is much more efficient and less costly to properly maintain a transmission than it is to repair damages from dirty or insufficient fluids.
Here are some other tips on keeping your transmission running smoothly:
- Follow your owner’s manual for when to have a complete flush and replacement of all fluids in the transmission. Generally, this should happen at least every 30,000 miles.
- While driving, leave automatic transmission vehicles in “drive” and avoid manually downshifting to a lower gear as this can be hard on the gears and wear them down. In a standard, be sure the clutch is properly depressed between shifts.
- When shifting from reverse to drive, always come to a complete stop, regardless of your type of transmission, then change direction.
- When parking, especially on an incline, put on your emergency brake before you put the vehicle in park. This allows the brake to take the bulk of pressure in keeping the car parked and not the transmission.
- Do not carry overheavy loads that your vehicle isn’t designed to carry. Exceeding your vehicle’s towing limits causes excessive heat to build up in the transmission, which can result in significant damage.
And the best thing you can do to ensure your transmission is healthy and stays that way is to have a trusted mechanic check the transmission fluid and the transmission for wear and tear.
Our technicians at Desert Car Care McQueen are ready to help keep your vehicle in top working order. Book an appointment today. Have a car care question you’d like to ask our team of experts? Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org
Three things you can do to keep your car in top shape